Tuesday, March 25, 2008

OId Age Setting in

I woke up at 6:30 this morning for no apparent reason. Well, actually, that's not entirely true: I woke up at 6:30 this morning because I went to bed at 9:30 last night. I'm no doctor, but I'm pretty sure that's enough sleep for anyone.

It's pretty amazing that I managed this, though, because my neighborhood has gone insane. Some neighbor of mine was playing really weird European techno most of the evening, like loud - that volume that says, "You don't know it yet, but you really NEED this music." Well. I didn't.

Opera Guy is also back. This is some random dude who roams my hood singing arias to himself. I'm not sure which mental illness would make a person do this. Maybe too much art school?

Anyway, in general lately, everyone has been very strange. I've taken a poll, and 9 out of 10 people who allow me to IM them agree that people are quite stare-y on the subway, unusually persistent in their pursuit of spare change, prone to fits of giggling in otherwise staid and serious meetings, unwilling to tell their partners what's wrong, and so on.

I myself have been quite strange. For example, the other day I thought to myself, "I'm just so mad. I don't even know why. I just hate everyone! And my boobs really hurt." It took me a full day to realize that this condition is called PMS, and that I have had it for TWENTY YEARS.

Be careful out there, is all I can say.

3 comments:

  1. I don't get that either. How does my PMS come up on my like a surprise, as if I've never had it before, much less nearly a dozen times a year?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Full moon.

    --Taupey, good intentioned, non-creepy internets stalker.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is a guy with what I believe is Tourette's who sings what sounds a good lot like a mezzo-soprano doing opera. I noticed it on the F train a number of times, and finally realized it was him.

    On one occasion, I had the same man on my evening ride back to Brooklyn on the A train, which I never take... he would start hum/sing/"aria-ing" and stop, looking like it pained him, until finally he ran off the train and gave himself full voice on the platform.

    It must be tough for him, for the rest of us it is (I guess) just mystifying.

    ReplyDelete