Friday, June 24, 2005

Magical thinking and to-do lists

Next week, I will move to a new apartment and start a new job all in the space of, oh, about 48 hours. I have a lot to get done, and not much time to do it in. I should be extremely freaked out, but I'm not. Mostly, I'm concerned about what I'll wear to work.

You see, I haven't had any kind of a dress code for years. My last job distributed the dress code with the employee handbook on the first day of work. It read: "Employees are encouraged to wear clothing." That was it. That was the whole dress code. So as long as my lady parts were covered, so was I.

My new job seems pretty relaxed about dress codes, too, but it's in New York. Since my only work experience in New York so far has been working from home, and since New York is, on the whole, dressier than my hometown of Boston, I'm a little concerned. I think it might be a bad idea, for instance, to show up at work wearing a vomit-stained "Daubach is my daddy" t-shirt and a paint-spattered Red Sox cap.

So today, I went shopping. Please understand that I go shopping with the same joy and zest that I reserve for getting a Pap smear. I do not like shopping. I've never liked it. What I like is stuff. There's a paucity of actual stuff-getting in the whole shopping experience, if you ask me. Mostly, it seems like you just kind of stand around in one line or another, waiting to feel bad about your body and then pay a whole bunch of money you don't have to buy some clothes you might well despise next week. Also, in three months the weather will be wrong for your outfit, and by the time the weather cycles back around to where it needs to be in order for you to wear your fetching new pants, they will be out of style.

I once told my friend David in college that I was waiting for the Future of Fashion to arrive. I had it in my head that someday we would all shave our noggins and wear one-piece zip-up jumpsuits just like they do in science fiction movies, and then I would never have to worry about what I was wearing ever again. David said, "You are such a lesbian," which wasn't fair at all, because I know plenty of lesbians who have tons of fashion sense. I like boys and I can't dress myself without help. Stereotypes hurt us all, David. If you're reading this, I want you to remember that.

Anyway, I am now the proud owner of two pairs of grown-up person work pants and a shirt with buttons on it, as well as some cute sandals that do not completely reduce my feet to hamburger, and I'm feeling much better.

9 comments:

  1. wow, 2 pairs of pants, hopefully you wont be the "didnt she JUST wear those pants yesterday" new girl in the office.

    good luck in the new job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, my blogger profile photo looks DEMENTED next to my comments. Check it out. Is it just my screen resolution, or does it totally look like one half of my face is melting off?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will definitely be that girl. In fact, I am having a shirt made that reads, "I just wore these pants yesterday." I am adding it to the rotation, along with my pants and shirt with buttons. I will be the envy of my colleagues.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mwahahahaha! Your photo does look demented! I've been sitting here for a full minute and a half chuckling over that. Oh yeah and the "shirt with buttons" part of your entry. You are too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I'm the David you're referring to, I apologize to all lesbians (cause I like you guys) for insinuating that with the trait for girl-on-girl actions comes with the desire for a shaved head and silver lamet zip-up one-pieces. You're right, that is unfair. Regardless, I take no responsibility for things I have said, am saying, and will say in the very near future. My short-term memory is short and has been known to falsify its own reports. Forgive me, I'm sorry, and I'm glad (if I am the same David) for finally making it into your blog.

    --David in CA

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I can't speak for everyone else, but I would be delighted if you were to show up wearing a t-shirt with the moniker "Daubach Is My Daddy". He plays for the Mets now; I don't think they know yet what a cultural hero he is.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, but they'll find out!

    Thanks for the support, Eric. I'm telling everyone that it was your idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I dunno, I think this David character sounds kinda swishy.

    ReplyDelete