Wednesday, February 23, 2005

I'm a Hubley, you're a Hubley, he's a Hubley, too

I got an e-mail the other day from a very nice fellow named Mike Hubley, whose name is my name, too. This made me ridiculously happy, as my name is far from common, especially around these parts. Hubley is a German name, heavily and ruthlessly anglicized. My father's full name, including his Anglo-Saxon sounding but actually Slovac middle name, sounds so English that he is often mistaken for a blueblooded WASP.

But enough about these names and whatnot. The best part of the e-mail was that Mike Hubley informed me that he had once dated a Jen, who, if they had married, would have become Jen Hubley. Just like me! (For the record, even if I do get married, I will remain Jen Hubley. I may make my husband change his name. Because fair is fair is fair. Not that you'll have to worry about that for awhile. Someone asked the other day if I was getting married and I said, "Yes! June 2012. Save the date!")

Being a Hubley is a whole thing, at least to those of us who are. It doesn't come with a trust-fund, or any particular history, but we do have a sense of pride in our heritage, which is, as far as I can tell, a deep-seated interest in being nice and pretty comfortable and having lots of snacks around.

10 comments:

  1. I noticed you're not shy about revealing your name (first and last) on your blog. Do you ever worry that some weirdo on the Internet will hunt you down and stalk you? That was a concern of mine when I started my blog a month ago. Plus, lots of friends and family ask me this same question. Just curious...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I've had lots of weirdos hunt me down and stalk me. But only via the Internet. Although, one did send me a lovely picture of his dick, which was upsetting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. how do you know it was his d#ck? and if it wasnt his d#ck, is it still stalking?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dick stalk! I don't know why, but that phrase is cracking me the hell up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Jen! Hubleys do rule, and I've discovered a few out our way, one who was actually a stunt pilot in the movie Cone Heads (neat-o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey again, you have inspired me to start a blog, come see! (this is Nickelle by the way)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was just feeling bad that I'm not really a Hubley cuz it's my married name. Then I remembered that I was helping Pa Hubley put the trash in the truck and it was 30 degrees outside and I was doing it in my bare feet. Surely that must count for something!

    ReplyDelete
  8. the only trouble with being inspired by jennie smash to blog is that before i write, I always read jennie smash first, and am so hystericalized my fingers don't move anymore

    ReplyDelete