Tuesday, March 8, 2005

I'm very fond of complaining...

...But lately, it's occurred to me that I might actually be addicted to it. I've found myself wracking my brains for something to whine about. This cannot be normal.

Be that as it may, I have a bone to pick with a specific type of office worker, and I just thought I'd share. I work in an open office, as many people do, now that companies have figured out that it's cheaper to build partitions than it is to build walls. This is no big deal to me, most of the time. I'm good at tuning out noise and the normal bustle of office traffic, and if worse comes to worst, I can always put on my headphones and listen to some music.

But there's a social contract involved in working in an open office that I feel many people are not acknowledging. Here's what it is: We all pretend that we're in offices, with walls and doors, etc., and we all respect each other's space, just as if that space were clearly delineated by a physical boundary. POPPING over the PARTITION like a PRAIRE DOG does not respect this social contract.

Thank you. You may now go about your business. If you need me, please knock.

2 comments:

  1. Since you can't pop over, maybe you should try peeping under- like a gopher?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i suppose its safe to say that smashing one's head thru the partition like an enraged gorilla high on angeldust is out of the question as well...

    ReplyDelete