Monday, May 17, 2004

In which Ms. Smash exercises her mental health benefit

ANONYMOUS CUSTOMER SERVICE REP: Hello, welcome to ______ Behavioral Health. How can I help you?

JENNIE SMASH: Um, I have a thing here, a bill, which says that you're not going to pay my shrink for two of my sessions.

ANONYMOUS CSR: What does it say exactly?

JENNIE SMASH: It says, um, "under review."

ANONYMOUS CSR: Oh, that doesn't mean we're not going to pay it.

JENNIE SMASH: It doesn't?

ANONYMOUS CSR: No.

JENNIE SMASH: So you are going to pay it?

ANONYMOUS CSR: Oh, sure.

JENNIE SMASH: Sure?

ANONYMOUS CSR: Um hmmm.

JENNIE SMASH: Okay...not to be be, I don't know, obnoxious, or anything, but are you really going to pay it? Because I don't have $240 lying around, and as you may of guessed from the fact that this is a mental health benefit, I'm just not well enough to worry about it. ANONYMOUS CSR: We're going to pay it.

JENNIE SMASH: You are.

ANONYMOUS CSR: Yes.

JENNIE SMASH: Okay. (Sigh.) Wow. Thank you. Hey, can I ask you something?

ANONYMOUS CSR: Yes.

JENNIE SMASH: Do they, like, give you special training on how to deal with crazy people over the phone? Cuz it seems like it might be a good idea. Given the nature of the claims you're reviewing.

ANONYMOUS CSR: Um, not really.

No comments:

Post a Comment