Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Girlhood dreams

When I was a little girl, I dreamed of the day when a man would look at me tenderly and say, "My girlfriend and I have a 'don't ask, don't tell' policy."



Many girls have this dream. We cherish it so strongly, that we never ever mention it in public. It's like our longing to have a hysterectomy before the age of forty, or our desire to eventually give birth to a two-headed baby. It's just too precious to be spoken of, aloud.



When the gentleman I'm referring to told me about his "don't ask, don't tell" policy, I looked at him shyly, my eyes wide and shiny with unshed tears.



"You mean," I whispered, awkwardly reaching for his hand. "You're not going to tell each other that you're both actually GAY?"

4 comments:

  1. I must admit, you had me fooled for a second Ms Smash, and i was about to ask for your hand in marriage. Did a man that you were "involved" with actually propose the "dont ask..." concept to you?

    And more importantly, did you really respond as you have noted in your post? If so, kudos to you, amazing response!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cripes, for a second I thought you were the man in question. Now that I see that you're not, a few clarifications:

    1) I was in no way involved with the man in question.
    2) I am often quick on my feet, verbally if in no other way. (No really: No. Other. Way. When I try to run, I actually back up.) So yes, I really did say that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What I live about reading your postings... I often laugh out loud. And I often read these early in the morning when everyone's quiet, the day hasn't started, and people are cursing their lives. Yet, no one asks: "What's so funny?"

    Is that normal???

    --David in CA

    ReplyDelete
  4. Most people are dead inside, David. It's really true.

    ReplyDelete