Wednesday, September 7, 2005

Mrs. P Saves the Day: Part 387

Apparently, the cure for insomnia is to have your sister come to visit and tell you that you're going to fall asleep. This was our conversation last night:

Mrs. Piddlington, observing me sacked out on the bed: "You're going to fall asleep in about 2.5 seconds."

Me: "No, I'm not."

Mrs. Piddlington: "Yes, you are."

Me: "Zzzzzz."

So, she used the Force on me, is my point. "These aren't the droids you're looking for, and you're getting sleepy." Either that, or the eight nights in a row of social activity finally caught up with me. You know, one or the other.

The insomnia thing has been with me for four years now, ever since I lost about thirty pounds and (apparently) screwed up my thyroid, or my hypothalamus, or whatever it is that regulates sleep. I'm betting Jayman will know and post about it shortly. Truly, I don't need to use Google anymore. I can just rely on my commenters. Isn't that nice?

But here's my point: I slept for eight hours last night, and it was bliss.

4 comments:

  1. Your wish is my command:

    The thyroid basically controls your overall metabolism, while the hypothalamus regulates specific incidences of hunger or thirst, and governs your sleep cycle.

    Weight loss and sleeplessness are both symptoms of depression, too, so I blame the President.

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. Why is your picture link broken on the main page and in your comments?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just want to say that I love you and your friends. I can no longer start my workday until I have had my coffee while logging on to see what Jennie news and insights have been posted since yesterday. (It helps that I begin my workday an hour and a half before anyone else in my office)

    Am I really a sad sad soul or just enjoying glimpses of what my choices could have been? (singleness, freedom, New York moments...) ???

    Power to Jennie! Enjoy your day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're not a sad soul at all! Have you read any Kate Chopin? Everyone regrets what might have been. EVERYONE. Anyone who says any different is a self-righteous asshole, and you know what? They're totally not invited to any of my parties.

    You, on the other hand: Welcome! And thanks for the lovely comment.

    ReplyDelete