Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Triage

Ma Smash: Have you changed the bandage yet?

Me:
Not yet. I was sort of thinking, maybe I could leave it til it's time for the stitches to come out. You know: Like a cast.

Ma Smash:
No.

Me: Well, overnight then. Just so I don't disturb it.

Ma Smash: You need to clean it.

Me: But that will hurt.

Ma Smash: It'll be fine. Why don't you take the dressing off right now, while I'm on the phone with you.

Me: I can't! I'm doing dishes.

Ma Smash:
You're doing dishes?

Me:
I got gloves. Madcat suggested it.

Ma Smash: Clever girl! Cuz I was gonna say, that'll hurt more than cleaning the wound, doing dishes.

Me:
It does kinda hurt.

Ma Smash:
Is it bleeding?

Me:
Um ... no?

Ma Smash:
Is it bleeding?

Me:
Yes.

Ma Smash:
Why don't you take the bandage off right now?

Me: OK.

[By the sink: A long process of unrolling, punctuated by dramatic sniffles and little hitches of breath, as though I'm unveiling my stump for the first time.]

Me:
Oh, hey! It looks pretty good.

Ma Smash: See?

Me:
Is that pus? No, it's just the edge of the wound. And the ointment crap they put on it.

Ma Smash: You're fine. Now wash that right off with plenty of antibacterial soap and put on more ointment.

Me:
OK. Hey! It looks really good!

Ma Smash:
Told you.

Me:
Neat!

Ma Smash: Do you want to talk to your father?

Me:
Sure!

[Hands phone to my Dad. This involves waking up my Dad, who has been snoring peacefully in the background.]

Me:
Hi, Daddy!

Dad: Hi, Peaches. How's your paw?

Me:
Pretty good. Mom just had me take off the dressing while we were on the phone.

Dad: [Pause.] So she could ... see?

4 comments:

  1. Of course. Mothers have the most incredible eyesight and I'm sure Ma Smash is no exception.

    X-Men pale compared to the abilities of mothers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha, whenever you post conversations with your parents I can SO picture them and it makes me giggle...I'm sure she could too see. Hope the hand feels better, ouchies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol, loved dad's comment. Thanks for the laugh

    ReplyDelete