Monday, July 11, 2005

Friendship is about appreciating differences

I don't want you to think that I'm a little overtired, but I really thought I might throw up on the subway this morning. Then again, what does that prove? Nothing, except that the subway can induce vomiting.

I have many, many stories to tell you about my moving adventures this weekend, but that will have to wait until I finish a few things around the ol' office, so in the meantime, I leave you with the following conversation, which my friend Adrian had with himself, mostly, on Sunday morning, when my sister and I were trying to get him up and out of my apartment so that we could finish setting things up. (BTW, four people -- Meg, Adrian, my pal Isaac and me -- sleeping in a Manhattan studio resembles a row of sardines in a can more than you might think.)

Adrian: (Rubbing his eyes.) I was supposed to work today. Ah, fuck it.

Me: What? You have to work?

Adrian: Just a little work. I mean, I don't have a job or anything.

There you go, ladies and gentleman! There it is: An attitude of nonchalance that I will never ever have, even if I win the lottery and never "have" to work again.

2 comments:

  1. I want to commemorate a plaque in the park to one Issac Canney, pal extrordinare, great truck buddy, stiller of stormy seas, walker on waters, sweetalker of obnoxious retail functionaries, and hugely tough som'bitch who just simply works hard enough to please even my Grandpa H (R#1), the original untiring arbeitman!

    Issac, you, my friend, are the MAN. "We never could have done it without you", is wholy inadequate. Someday we will find a way to reciprocate, but for now, just accept a nanobyte of thank yous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I prescribe one session of "Office Space" ... You know you need to get a video card in the neighborhood anyway!

    ReplyDelete