Saturday, November 12, 2005

George!

I am on the Internets in a variety of made-up electronic locations, so I am quite easy to find, if one wants to find me. Sometimes one does, which usually means that one is a dangerous maniac, an ex-boyfriend, or some combination of the two.

My last Internet person pop-up was a former coworker whom we will call George, because no one is named George in my generation, and therefore, no one will be offended. I never dated George, nor do I feel that he is a dangerous maniac. However, he did once decide that my friend Lisa was going to date him, and it took a lot of persuading to convince him that this was not the case.

George wrote to me a short time ago to say hello and tell me about his blog. I did not write back, because I remembered how hard it was to convince him that Lisa would not date him, and because I find his self-confidence disturbing, given that I and many excellent people I know seem to have so little. Perhaps they dole out self-confidence in inverse proportion to its deservedness? I don't know. Anyway, good old George is steeped in the stuff, which I realized when I went to his blog and discovered that it contained the following elements:

1) A bio page, referring to his many books, of which there is one. Referred to in the plural however! "Go here for my books. And when I say books, I mean, just the one."

2) A changing quotes section featuring a variety of witty aphorisms, by such sages as Picasso, Isaac Asimov, and George.

3) A brief history of George's world travels, which include: the town he was born in, the town next door, the nearest city, which is where he went to school, and then, another town right next to the town he was born in.

4) His wish list. Of course. Because when gas costs as much as $37 per gallon on any given week, sane persons should of course buy presents for strangers.

5) A list of sponsors. (!) (?)

Friends of mine: This ol' blog might vary widely in quality. It might bore you. It is certainly self-indulgent. But at least I don't make you pay for it.

2 comments:

  1. This has nothing to do with George, but I thought you'd like to know that I found a new disease for you to worry about. It's called Wilson's disease and it is "an autosomal recessive defect of cellular copper export." This means that you can't get rid of copper which is a heavy metal and therefore worth getting rid of. It causes liver problems. Oh no!
    what if you have Wilson's disease!?!? It is soooo unlikely that it might be a nice one for you to concern yourself with for a change.
    Love you,
    Ma Smash

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should get sponsors, too, but nothing weak like ad bars and pop-ups. I'm talking corporate sponsorship like a race team or product endorsements like an athlete. I'd buy the sneakers you blog in for my wife, no doubt.

    If "Fatal1ty" deserves sponsorship deals, why not you?

    ReplyDelete