Tuesday, August 9, 2005

Profiles in Honesty

A friend of mine and I recently decided to try online dating. I've done this before, with decidedly mixed results. She's never done it, but feels that now is the time. I'm feeling fairly optimistic, since I basically just want to meet people in my new city. I mean, that's a lot easier than looking for the love of your life, the way I admittedly was when I was doing this before.

Just to make sure, though, I vetted my profile with my pal. She wrote back and said that she thought it was really good and that she might need my help:

You might be called in to spruce up my profile. I can't think of
anything interesting about myself that won't scare the dudes away.

* I can spend money faster than anyone you've ever met.
* I have anxiety problems and sometimes take prescription pills to
alleviate panic attacks.
* I want to have a baby ... NOW.


I'm really leaning toward her leaving it as is.

5 comments:

  1. you know a post like that is going to attract the *truly* weird freaks. At the very least, I would think that would be seriously entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always been wary of online dating but in the past 2 years 3 of my friends have tried it out. 2 are engaged and the other is heading that way now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, crazy stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Am very interested in hearing what your eperiences are like. I am new to my city (SF) as well. I joined the Nerve personals and answered a few of the guys' ads who were also new to the area and looking for friends. No response. So depressing. I mean, isn't it safe to assume that anyone over 25 has met at least one of their relationships the conventional way? So, why then, would you completely eliminate an online profile without at least corresponding once or twice. If I were to have judged my exes solely on "how they looked on paper" I might never have picked them...Sorry for the long post.

    I read your blog all the time, but don't usually comment. Guess you could call me a lurker :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Actually, I didn't get a single response either! My friend Jeanne thinks it's because my pictures didn't feature me pulling down my pants. So don't take it personally. Pun intended.

    ReplyDelete