Friday, September 10, 2004

Fandom according to Ma Smash

The following is a transcript of a telephone conversation I had with my mother yesterday. And when I say "transcript", I mean "based loosely on my memory of the actual conversation, with my Mom's sillier comments emphasized."



Me: So, I'm pretty excited. I got Pixies tickets for Dec. 1. Three whole days before they go on sale at the box office!



Ma Smash: Oh! Pixies tickets! That's great. (Pause.) Who are the Pixies?



Me: The Pixies are the greatest band in the whole world. They're like our Beatles. Only there's a chick.



Ma Smash: I thought the Dixie Chicks were the greatest band in the world.



Me: (Laughing.)



Ma Smash: Aren't the Dixie Chicks your favorite band?



Me: Wait. You're kidding, right? Tell me you're kidding.



Ma Smash: No! You're always talking about them.



Me: The Dixie Chicks? ARE YOU SERIOUS? They're ... like, pop/country. They play arenas.



Ma Smash: Well, who are you always talking about then? La, la, la, greatest band ever, la, la, la, Amanda whatshername...



Me: Amanda Palmer? Do you mean the Dresden Dolls?



Ma Smash: That's it! The Dresden Dolls.



Me: Oh, Mom. Mom. That's ... so wrong.



3 comments:

  1. Mwahahaha! That's so classically Ma Smash! Sniff, it makes me miss her so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, so now it's coming into focus. After your bella fortuna and the concert tickets, I thought I heard her saying how excited you were to going to see Trixie Palmer and the Tinker Bells.... or maybe that's just what I (hardly) heard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Correction: The Dixie Chicks are not pop/country. They're country/blue grass. Though their attires and attitude do not represent the standard in country music, when you strip it all away and actually listen to their music, it's pure country.

    ReplyDelete