Thursday, September 23, 2004

Livestrong

I was never going to get one of those yellow rubber Livestrong bracelets. I'd see guys at the gym with them on and think, "What a tool. If you want to donate money to cancer research, just write a check." They seemed like friendship bracelets or charm necklaces or some similar jewelry trend, left over from the era of Trapper Keepers and sticker books. Now that I'm a grownup, I don't do sartorial fads. I never bought a white belt or a trucker cap. I know what looks good on me, or at least what I like, and that's what I wear. (I'm actually pretty particular, too. My Mom likes to knit. She makes sweaters for everyone, usually Aran style fisherman sweaters. But when it came time to make me my sweater, she presented me with a bunch of patterns from a Contemporary Knits booklet, and said, "Look! I got you some hipster patterns to look at. This one is a hoodie!")



But I have a Livestrong bracelet now and I wear it every day. And there is, of course, a story.



My friend Cathy is one of those people who always has a job and then about six charities that she works for, donating time and money and her not inconsiderable organizational skills. She's a much better person than I am, basically, and I have no idea why she keeps me around. I think it's because I'm fun at parties.



Anyway, about a week ago, Cathy had some people over to play poker. She fleeced me out of about twenty bucks, but I got some great chili out of the deal, plus this Livestrong bracelet, which was in a basket of about twenty of the suckers, sitting on her kitchen counter.



Cathy always gives stuff away at her gatherings. At the Sopranos finale, she gave out little squirt guns. I like free stuff, so I always take one of whatever she's giving out. So I reached into the basket and said, "Oh, hey. Livestrong bracelets. Can I have one?"



"Yes," Cathy said. "You can have one. But only if you're really going to wear it."



She added that mostly because she had to order these bracelets so far ahead of time, and because they cost a bit of cash. But I picked up something else from her tone, too, which was that my particularness might be ever so slightly irritating for my friends, from time to time, and that they shouldn't have to shell out for the privilege of having their gifts abandoned in the pile of crap on my coffee table.



So now I'm trying to be the kind of person who wears gifts. (Please don't give me any sweatshirts with kittens on them, or anything like that. I'm new at this, and you don't want to push me.) I've been wearing the bracelet for a week now, and I really like it. It's extra big, just like my watch, so it sort of fits the whole "I'm so smart, I can't be bothered to make sure my socks match" intellectual urchin thing I've got going on. But most of all, it's reminding me to try to be good instead of cool.



Leave it to me to turn a cancer benefit into a quest for personal growth.





5 comments:

  1. another thing I hate about "Seinfeld" is how the audience - live studio, canned laughter or otherwise - kills itself laughing every time Kramer walks into a room or makes a countenance or whatever. I mean, Jesus, how many seasons did that go on for?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every time Kramer came onscreen, I threw up. Does that count?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought one of those bracelets, but don't wear it because

    1. I don't look good in yellow.
    2. The MBTA buses could see me better when I walk about Haymarket Sq.... where's the sport in that?
    3. For every person like Cathy who buys and wears these things, there are eight people who are just being "with it", and while I don't mind the Livestrong foundation getting cash from trend-wookies, I don't want anyone to mistake me for one of those.
    4. Did I say I don't look good in yellow?
    5. If I wear any jewelry, but still don't wear the ole wedding ring, my life wouldn't be worth a nickel. And I quote, "At sometime, eventually, you will have to fall asleep."
    6. Did I say I don't look good in yellow?
    7. I bought, but never wore, one of those MIA bracelets and now feel personally responsible that some guy's stuff was never found. Logically, if cancer is not cured after I get tired of wearing the bracelet.. it will be all my fault.
    8. Did I say.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have one of those bracelets. I like to wear it. It briefly bothered me that it was the cool thing to do, but I've decided I don't care. I bought the damn thing. I gave my money to a cause I care about, and I don't care how many trend-chasing tools it links me to.

    Besides, it looks great next to my bright pink watch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really I never wanted to wear one of those. But then the fire department I work for began selling blue and red ones that said 'Firefighters 4 Kids'. The proceeds go to send burned kids to burn camp in the summer. We had discussed making them say 'Stop, Drop and Roll', but that didn't go over too well. When we got done laughing and making our reservations in hell, that is. Anyway. I bought two, still don't wear them. My anti-jewelry boyfriend wears one though. He must love me.

    ReplyDelete